Wednesday 20 May 2009

Make-do and Mend





I recently decided to have a clear-out of clothes that no longer fit or have fallen apart. I came to the realisation that far too many items bought incredibly cheaply from high street chains have either stretched or gained multiple holes. In addition, most of these are likely to have dubious ethical standards.
This wasn't really a huge revelation, more of an awakening and a decision not to settle for low quality garments that have cost someone else so much more than it's cost me in money.

So, after my clear-out, with the old clothes that were too beyond repair to go to the charity shop, I was inspired by stitchface's story to make something recycled.

This is what, or who I should say, I made from some stripey shorts. A bit jazzy for me to wear, but looks good on Bear.

Of course it's not just clothes that this applies to. I've been avidly watching 'Homemade Homes' on Channel 4.

Firstly because it's set in Devon and I wanted to spot Jo Colwill on it, but also because I like the ethos behind hand making your own home with things that last rather than filling it with throw-away flat-pack.




Sometimes this is easier said than done, but I'd like to take up the challenge!

1 comment: